The Embassy of Sweden in Beijing represents Sweden and the Swedish government in the People Republic of China. The areas of work include politics and economics, science and research, defence cooperation, promotion, press- and information, administration and consular affairs. The Embassy hosts an Office of Science and Innovation. The goal of the Office is to strengthen Sweden as a leading knowledge nation with one of the world’s foremost innovation systems, attractive for investment and cooperation. The work of the Office includes conducting long-term and strategic promotion of innovation, research and higher education; strengthening connections to strategically important environments for innovation, research and higher education; fact-finding and analysis. It also includes contributing for the implementation of the Export Strategy with close cooperation within Team Sweden in China.
The Embassy of Sweden is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To promote and deliver collaboration between Sweden and China in the fields of innovation, research and higher education. Particularly, in the areas of Next generation of traveling and transportation, Smart cities, Circular and bio-based economy, Life sciences, and A connected industry and new materials. The bilateral cooperation between Sweden and China will also be central and instrumental for joint efforts to pursue global agenda for a knowledge-based and innovation-driven transformation towards sustainable development, with a particular focus on Agenda 2030.
Work closely with the Embassy’s Counsellor on Science and Innovation Policy and interact and collaborate with other Sections of the Embassy as well as engage with relevant Chinese government agencies and stakeholders.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main roles and responsibilities of this function are:
- Take a lead, together with the Counsellor on Science and Innovation, in developing bilateral collaborations as well as policy dialogues and mutual learning within the areas of innovation, research and higher education.
- Monitor and interpret development trends and policy initiatives in China in these areas and establish networks with relevant actors and environments.
- Organise and shape high-level policy dialogues.
- Support high-level visits relating to innovation, research and higher education.
- Advise Swedish stakeholders on innovation policies, programmes and important initiatives in China.
- Actively contribute to the team’s communication works and promote Sweden’s research excellence and key programmes. This will include one to one interactions with senior officials and other contacts, public speaking and contributing to reports and social media.
- The Adviser will develop knowledge of China ‘s scientific research base, including the best researchers; their future plans and what kinds of research Chinese funders and companies are interested in.
- Brokering and building Sweden-China innovation and science collaborations at the level of research funders.
- The Adviser will be expected to provide input in policy processes in Sweden, sourcing and sharing examples of best practice, scientific evidence and expertise.
Specific responsibilities may change over time.
- Master’s degree as minimum.
- Strong corporate, academic or government professional background with over 5 years of working experience.
- An enthusiasm for, and knowledge about, innovation, innovation policy and the internationalisation of science and innovation.
- Excellent skills and a strong interest in communication with the ability to produce clear, concise reports, and to present effectively to different target groups. A proven track record in writing and editing articles, reports and policy papers.
- Fluency, both spoken and written, in English and in Chinese.
- Excellent IT and social media skills.
- Highly motivated, organised, and resourceful. A self-starter capable of working independently.
- Effective team player with track record in delivering high-quality results under time pressure.
- Strong interpersonal skills, capable of effectively interacting with members of the public, science community, and senior government officials.
- Legal entitlement to work in China.
- Knowledge and experience in policy-making processes with in-depth knowledge of Chinese research and innovation policies and funding programmes
- Knowledge in Swedish will be considered an asset.
- Experience of working in an international organisation.
- Experience of working with academia, business and government organisations.
- Knowledge of Sweden’s science and innovation strengths and capabilities.
- Experience from work in Sweden or with Swedish contacts.
- Fulltime position based at the Embassy of Sweden, Beijing, China.
- Varied and dedicated international work experience within a multi-cultural and open setting in a small and dynamic team.
- Inspiring professional and personal development.
- Salary will be set individually, based on qualifications and working experience.
- Probationary employment will be applicable for the selected candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
Your application should be in English and include a CV and a letter describing why you are interested in the position and working at the Embassy of Sweden. Please provide contact details of two reference persons (at least one must be from a current or previous employer). Do not send any originals, we do not return applications.
Application, named Innovation and Science Adviser, should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, 2 July 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview. Application in hard copy shall not be returned. The position will start as soon as possible.
- Applicants who do not have the required qualification and experience should kindly abstain from applying, as their applications will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and no telephone enquires will be dealt with.
- The appointment will be subject to checks, including references, educational and professional. A records check will also be applied when applicable.
- The selection process will include interviews as well as oral and written tests of professional and communicational skills.